Assignment #3: Expression poster (final version)

Back in February, I was working on the expression poster for my class. I got some feedback about what I could improve, but since the improvements were not required, I kept putting them off, and off, and off. And then of course I realized that it's April already :) The lettering on the original version was done mostly as a quick sketch, so I went back and redid the parts that didn't look that great. I also changed the background color, since I was told that my original version was not "acidic" enough. Now, there is so much contrast that you Continue Reading

Assignment #3: Expression poster (Part 2)

Last week, I came up with two poster ideas that I brought to class with me. Based on the comments that I received, I made some changes and created the final version. One of the complaints about my initial ideas was that the type was not psychedelic enough. I did some research into what psychedelic posters look like, and decided to do some hand-lettering for the song title. I knew that I wanted to have 3 boxes of the same size in the title. One of the ideas that my instructor gave me was to rotate them by 45° so Continue Reading

Assignment #3: Expression poster (Part 1)

The next assignment for my class is a two-week project. The goal is to create a poster that promotes a song by "capturing the essence of that song typographically". The constraints are as follows: Only text should be used on the poster (no images). There should be at most 3 colors (including background). The poster should have 3 different levels for viewer (50ft, 5ft, 5in). Minimum size is 13x20in, but can be larger. The poster should include the title of the song, full lyrics, author/composer, and playing time. For the first week, I need to present two different layouts Continue Reading

Assignment #2: Create three layouts almost breaking the traditional grid

For the second assignment, we were asked to use the same text as before, but instead of copying somebody else's traditional grid layout to make our own. An additional (but very important) constraint was to make some changes that would almost break the traditional grid, and yet it would still be recognizable. Now that this assignment has been reviewed in class, I have to note that nobody understood what it meant exactly. The instructor meant we should have made small changes that pushed the limits of the grid, but we all made things that went much further than that. I Continue Reading

Assignment #1: Copy three layouts as closely as possible

It's that time of the year again, and I'm taking another design class. This time it's called "Typography-based design", and it's taught by Jeff Barlow, Starbucks Creative Manager. For the first assignment, we were given copies of three book spreads and several choices of text. The objective of the assignment is to create three spreads using one of the texts, and each of these spreads should imitate one of the given one as closely as possible while using the traditional grid proportions. The samples were given on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, but the layouts had to be created Continue Reading